Thursday, July 29, 2010

You are now home.

Luke, Ashley and I got to experience something truly amazing last weekend. Two Loggerhead Sea Turtles, Radley and Viking, were set free, and we were lucky enough to witness the release. They both arrived at the Turtle Hospital by my house this spring with severe injuries. I of course have a special place in my heart for Viking, because she only had 3 flippers due to a shark attack. I will always have a special place in my heart for animal amputees, because of Savannah. Radley on the other hand had a head injury. After months of rehabilitation, Radley and Viking went home. Hundreds of people showed up at the beach to watch the release.

Luke was so excited when he saw the turtles arrive at the beach.
Staff members carried the turtles the last few feet to the water

Go Viking Go!!!

Radley was equipped with a satellite transmitter that will track her travels for the next year. You can track her here http://www.marinelife.org/

After swimming a few feet, she lifted her head and looked back. I swear she was saying thank you.

I was a little surprised how emotional I felt when they entered the water. The crowd erupted in applause and I had tears in my eyes. I can only imagine how the staff felt that worked so hard to nurse these turtles back to life. It was bitter sweet. Luke and Ashley even thought it was exciting. They kept saying, "They're going home to their mamas!" Yes, Luke and Ashley, yes they are.

I am so thankful to have witnessed this amazing event. If you are ever on the coast near a turtle hospital, you MUST call the hospital and ask if they have an upcoming release. I promise, you will enjoy every second. Congratulations Radley and Viking! You are now home.

1 comment:

Granna said...

Thanks for being such a great mom! Luke and Ashley get to experience a lot of things because you make it happen......Thanks for having such a caring heart, too. We love you all...........