Sunday, May 16, 2010

Feels like Summer!


I know we still have a month to go until it is officially summer, but it already feels like it down here. IT IS HOT! I'm not complaining, because that summer feeling makes me happy. As a kid, I always loved summer. The excitement of being out of school and spending my days outside swimming and playing was great. There are also the lazy days in the heat that make me feel content and relaxed. I also love the food that is made in summer (I know surprise, I love food). Goodbye roasts, gumbos, heavy sauces, and soups; hello pesto, fresh vegetables, fried green tomatoes and homemade banana ice cream! My dad always made his famous banana ice cream in the summer, and it would be devoured. I've decided to make it a tradition for my family as well, and make my dad's recipe when it starts to warm up outside. Luke and Ashley helped me cut up the bananas and measure the ingredients. Then, like tradition, it was devoured!





As for the fried green tomatoes,I've also already made these. My Papa grows the best tomatoes. He gave me a bag full to fry. (the twins did not help me with this one, but when they are older, I will teach them how) They were so delicious! Makes me think of Steel Magnolias, and really miss the south. A friend asked me how I make them, so I will post the recipe here. I like them with a little bit of a kick so I add cayenne to the batter, and serve with hot sauce on the side.

First you need firm green tomatoes. The ones that are turning orange are fine too, I just prefer the really green ones like this.


Slice the tomatoes about 1/2" thick

Dip in buttermilk, then batter and fry. Definitely use a cast iron skillet if you have one.




Papa's Fried Green Tomatoes:

vegetable oil
1 cup stone-ground corn meal
1 cup flour
1 T. garlic powder
cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
salt
black pepper


Place a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and coat with vegetable oil.
In a bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, garlic powder and a few dashes of cayenne (to taste)
In a separate bowl, mix buttermilk with salt and black pepper.
Dip tomatoes in buttermilk then dredge in dry mixture, coating both sides. Shake off excess
Pan fry the tomatoes in hot oil until golden brown and crispy on both sides.
drain on paper towels and serve with your favorite hot sauce and lemon.

I hope you enjoy these as much as we do! Let me know how they turn out!

I am thankful Summer comes early down here. I'm excited to pass on some of my summer traditions to my kids. It's going to be a great one!

2 comments:

Granna said...

I see the "little helpers" are having a great time with Dad and Mom. I just love seeing those sweet faces and just wonder what is going on in their minds. The ice cream and the fried green tomatoes sound wonderful!!!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmmm! Your tomatoes look delice! Can't wait for my tomatoes to come in, I will try your recipe.