Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Idiosyncrasies

Brent and I are about to go away for our long summer vacation. We are heading to the island of Anguilla in the Caribbean. We usually go to a different island every year and I am especially excited about this one. We are staying at the Cuisinart Resort. (Yes, Cuisinart as in the kitchen tools.) The resort even offers a Caribbean cooking class that I will be taking. I am so excited! I absolutely LOVE taking cooking classes, especially in different countries. I took one in the French Riviera several years ago and it was one of the best cooking experiences I have ever had. I often use a lot of the French techniques that I was taught and can not wait to see what the Caribbean chefs have to offer. I have NO idea what to expect! I will soon see!

Although I am very excited, I feel the need to warn our parents who will be taking care of Luke and Ashley while we're gone. I am not ONE BIT worried about the twins, it's more the grandparents! They watch Luke and Ashley every summer when we leave, but every summer it is different. When they were babies, they needed to be on a strict schedule. It was most important for the grandparents to follow the schedule to make it through the week with their sanity in tact. Now I'm not as obsessed with a schedule. As long as they eat Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, take a bath and sleep at night, they will be fine. No, I'm not worried about the schedule. I'm worried about all their idiosyncrasies driving our parents crazy... and they WILL.....

-Like Luke: I can ask him 3 times what he wants for breakfast and he'll say "pancakes", so I'll make him pancakes. When I set them down in front of him at the table, he'll have a fit and say, "I don't WANT pancakes, I want cereal!"

-And Ashley: Whatever you do, do NOT give her a lot of juice at the beginning of breakfast. She will guzzle the whole thing, then ask for more and be too full to eat breakfast. Give it to her in small portions.

-My mom experienced this one when we went to Cumberland Island, DO NOT BREAK LUKE'S BANANA!

-Luke still prefers to urinate outdoors and not in the potty. BEWARE in public!

-They will both change clothes about 10 times a day.

-They will find band aides and cover their bodies with them.

-They like their sandwiches cut in quarters.

-If you turn your back for 1 minute, they WILL destroy the house.

-Their favorite thing to say is "poopy diaper", and this is NOT allowed at the dinner table nor in public. (Although, you will have to bite your tongue to keep from laughing.) Luke just says it out of the blue sometimes and Ashley laughs and laughs. I just don't get these two sometimes.

There are so many, I could never write them all down. To our parents, just know, if they make you feel like you're doing something "wrong", you're probably not. If you can figure out how to get them to stop being so obsessive about any of these things, I would be forever grateful! And as my grandmother told me when the twins were born, "don't worry about the mess, just play with your babies" Have a great time! We are so excited for our trip and know the twins will have a great time too.

OH! And one last thing. The frogs are extremely loud at night! Especially after it rains. Hopefully, they won't keep you up. If you get lucky, you may see one swimming in the pool in the morning.







Brent and I are thankful to have parents who are willing to watch our kids so we can go away and have some responsibility-free time. Thank you so much!


1 comment:

Ashley Eiler said...

love your posts my friend!! miss you tons!!