Monday, October 18, 2010

A lot of firsts.

Sorry, I've been M.I.A! We've been really busy. I just haven't found the time to write on the blog. We are settling into our new routine of preschool. I thought I would have more "free" time, but it turns out, I hardly have any. I spend it running errands and going to appointments. There are days I don't get back home until after I pick them up in the afternoon. However, I must say, it is much easier to run simple errands without having to get two kids in and out of car seats. I'm noticing things in Publix that I never noticed before, because I now have the time to look. I'm not stressed out when the lady in front of me in line at the grocery store waits to hear her total BEFORE searching through her purse for her checkbook . (my soapbox: OK, I don't get stressed out because my kids aren't with me; therefore, I'm not worried they're about to have a meltdown while waiting, but this type of lady still really REALLY bugs me. Why can't she find her checkbook and start filling out the check while she's waiting on the total?) I need to do a post on just pet peeves. I have MANY.

This past weekend, we took Luke and Ashley on a little trip. We flew into Atlanta on Thursday night and took the twins to The Varsity for the first time. In case you have never heard of The Varsity, it is the world's largest "Drive In" restaurant. It has been a famous establishment in Atlanta since 1928. We thought this would be a fun place to take the kids for dinner. (That and it is very kid friendly.....) They had a great time and enjoyed their dinner too.

After that, we went back to our hotel. Only there was a "little" problem. We were supposed to have a room with 2 double beds. Instead, they gave us 1 king. The twins thought it was the coolest bed in the world, and immediately started jumping on it.
Yes, we are those people who stay in a nice hotel and our kids think it's OK to go crazy.
Even the next morning wearing her Varsity hat, jumping, jumping, jumping.
On Friday morning, we went to yet another famous establishment for the first time, WAFFLE HOUSE!!! Brent and I love Waffle House. I know a lot of people think we are crazy, but we have a lot of funny, funny FUNNY memories there. Usually with our friends at 2:00 in the morning, but we love it. We don't have any Waffle Houses near us down here, so the twins have never gone. Well they got their first taste! Ashley LOVED it! Her favorite was the hash browns, scattered, smothered, covered! That's my girl! Luke, well, he's not much of a breakfast eater. He ate about 3 bites of a waffle and about a lb. of bacon. (my kind of boy too :)


After Waffle House, we went to the Atlanta Aquarium. It was magnificent. I know, I know, leave South Florida to go to Atlanta to see fish, right? Well, let me just tell you, this aquarium is incredible. If you haven't been, you must. Luke and Ashley liked it, but were ready to leave after about an hour. Luckily they had a kids section with a huge slide. (I think that was their favorite part) That and when the Beluga Whale smiled at Luke....

I really love this picture. Don't know why, it would be a professional photographer's nightmare, but I love it.
Looking at a whale shark

And of course the slide...

Good thing he didn't get stuck in there.

We then drove over to Birmingham for the night. The next morning, I left early to meet up with one of my best friends, Sherri to go to the Auburn/Arkansas game. Brent's original plan was to take the twins and his parents to the Alabama homecoming game, but the game time was too late. So he just took them over to Tuscaloosa for the day to enjoy the homecoming festivities, like the parade and bounce houses. Which turns out good, now I can be with them for their first college football experience. They seemed to have a good time, however, I'm not sure I'll let them go over there with out me again. Luke came home saying, "go pigs", hmmmmm... Sherri and I had a blast too! It's so much fun to get out of "Mom mode" and hang out with a good friend. I'm looking forward to hanging out again next weekend, when Brent and I head back to Auburn for the LSU game.

When I arrived back at the hotel Saturday night, I was greeted by my daughter not feeling well. She woke up the next morning with a horrible cold and a fever. Luke now has it as well. What a great way to end a family vacation, right? (At least they didn't get sick until the end.) I am keeping them home from preschool for the first time today. Ashley is not happy about this. She loves school, but I want them to rest and get over this cold before my mom gets here to watch them this weekend, while Brent and I go to Auburn. We'll see....

So, basically, over the past several days, Luke and Ashley experienced a lot of firsts. Some good, some bad, but overall, we had a great time. I am thankful we are able to take trips like this with our children. Although my husband works hard and travels a ton, I am grateful.

No comments: